Every once in a while I will find myself scrolling through Pinterest when I will stumble upon a list of fun/cheap/adventurous date ideas. I’m always looking for new ways to spend time with da boyfran, but for some reason, I just don’t find these “date ideas” very appealing.
I found this one on a list titled “Unusual Date Ideas”
“Have her dressed up as a ghost and you dress up as Pacman. Walk around downtown holding hands, and whenever someones sees you two, pretend to be embarrassed and run off screaming ‘Wocka wocka wocka.'”
Wait…what? Seriously? This could be a scene in a quirky rom-com starring Michael Cera as Awkward Shy Guy and Zooey Deschanel as Crazy Free-Spirted Girl. To be fair though, I should have known this list would be straight-up weird.
Let’s look at another list then. This one is titled “25 Free Date Ideas”
“Go to a local basketball court and–“
No, just stop right there. I’m not going to even finish reading that sentence because I can already tell it involves intense physical activity and that’s just not what I am about.
So I have compiled a list of date ideas for average couples. These activities are for people who enjoy each other’s company, and not much else.
1.Sit on opposite ends of the couch. Take out your laptops. Stay there until bedtime.
2. Split a 40 piece Chicken McNugget. Immediately regret all life decisions.
3. Make plans to go see a movie. Select a movie, time and everything, but when it becomes time to leave the house, realize just how tired you both are.
Also, who has the attention span these days to sit through a 3.5 hour The Hunger Avengers movie, or whatever the kids are watching these days.
4. Find a TV show you both enjoy. Watch the entire series in one sitting.
5. Set up a game night with friends. Watch as your best friend tries to murder you S.O. because they were hoarding all the bricks.
6. Give each other ridiculous hypothetical situations to test your love.
“Would you still love me if I were born with toes for teeth?”
“Do you also have teeth for toes?”
“Are you saying that you wouldn’t love me no matter what??”
“What? No. This is a stupid game.”
“Our love is a stupid game to you?”
There you have it. My best date ideas for couples. I don’t claim to be a relationship expert, but I have been in one for 2+ years now so I must be doing something right. Or I’m doing everything wrong and it just cancels out in the end. Either way it’s working and that’s all that matters!